Companies that carry the VEGANCERT logo on their products guarantee that each product is vegan, containing no animal ingredients or animal by-products, using no animal ingredient or by-product in the manufacturing process, and not being tested on animals.
Steps in the Certification Process
- Company submits complete certification application for review by fax, email or mail with the complete list of products and their ingredients and processing to VEGANCERT. Information regarding any animal testing on the finished product or testing of individual ingredients by the manufacturer or on their behalf must be included in the application. Products containing sugar need to include verification from the sugar supplier that the sugar is not filtered through bone char. We are happy to sign a NDA (non-disclosure agreement) by request.
- Upon receipt, the application will be reviewed and any queries or additional paperwork requests will be forwarded to the company.
- Products will be reviewed, which may involve contact with the suppliers and manufacturers. This process may take several weeks depending on the number of products submitted for review and the number of ingredients or processes.
- There is an option of an additional $75 dollar rush fee for companies wishing to have their products rushed through in 7 days. This is not available to companies that submit more then 10 products for review at once. The rush fee does not guarantee that all applications can be rushed through as the process depends upon the company’s ability to supply needed information in a timely manner.
- After thorough review of the products, VEGANCERT will either approve the application or reject the application. Approved applicants may use the logo for a 12 month period.
- Licensing fee is assessed by the company’s annual revenue and is due at time of the certification.
- VEGANCERT will email a contract for the company representative to review, sign and return.
- Upon receiving the signed contract and annual licensing fee payment, VEGANCERT will issue a permission-to-use document/certificate declaring certified VEGANCERT status for the approved products (not for the company). Additional products can be submitted for review anytime during the 12 month period at no extra charge.
- VEGANCERT will issue the VEGANCERT logo artwork in a .gif, .tif, .jpeg or .png format. The VEGANCERT logo may not be altered in any way. The VEGANCERT logo may not be used to represent a company, it represents individual products. A violation of these regulations will result in immediate termination of use of the logo.
- VEGANCERT will list the company on our website, www.vegancert.org. Additionally, certified products may be promoted through our printed materials, online posts, recipes, articles, tabling events, giveaways and social media feeds. If product samples are submitted, VEGANCERT staff may consider them for inclusion in articles on our website and social media feeds.
- After a 12 month period, the company and approved products will be reviewed and required to sign an updated contract and submit the annual licensing fee to continue using the VEGANCERT logo for another 12 month period.
- Companies are required to notify VEGANCERT when ingredients in any certified products change and submit new ingredient lists for verification.
- Companies must notify VEGANCERT if their company is going out of business, has changed addresses or website address, or is being purchased by another company (the vegan certification status on products does not automatically carry over if the business is purchased or transferred).
THE VEGANCERT LOGO IS THE PROPERTY OF VEGANCERT AND MAY BE REVOKED UNDER THE FOLLOWING CIRCUMSTANCES:
- Failure to conform to the certification agreement.
- Non-payment of the licensing fee.
- Misuse of logo on products not certified vegan. If the VEGANCERT logo is ever used in error on a product not certified by VEGANCERT, the company must notify VEGANCERT as soon as possible, cover up the logo on the uncertified products, or destroy the incorrect labels. If any incorrectly labeled products have made it to the marketplace, the company must post a consumer notification on their website regarding their error. Misuse of the VEGANCERT logo could result in a void contract and loss of vegan certification and the use of the VEGANCERT logo.
VEGANCERT reserves the right to asses a penalty fee to any company that is found in violation of the agreement by misuse of the logo or by providing false or misleading information regarding ingredients and processing of product.
VEGANCERT does not permit companies to use language that implies that we recommend a product. However, “Certified (Vegan) by VEGANCERT” is acceptable wording.
Please e-mail email@example.com if you have questions regarding any of the above statements.